Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The New Job

I started my new job yesterday as a CSR at C3.

Like I have a thousand times before I got ready for my first day. Not knowing what to expect.

I put on my business casual clothes. Made myself a lunch and headed out the door.

Ten minutes later I was being welcomed into the parking lot by a security guard and waved to my parking spot by attendants... this was certainly new.

I've never had assigned parking or had a job that required security around the premises.

I checked myself quickly in my car mirror. My hair was actually really cute today. That doesn't happen as often as I'd like. Then I decided it was time to go inside.

I entered through the break room. Now first you have to know what I was expecting based on previous jobs. I was expecting to have to introduce myself to a receptionist, wait around until someone told me where to go, lots of boring stuff all around... etc etc... this was definitely not the case.

Upon walking through the door I was hit by the scene of people laughing, a table FILLED with donuts and fruit snacks, and balloons everywhere, and I was greeted by the site manager herself, who remembered my name from orientation. (I was impressed by her memory)

Needless to say it was a warm welcome to C3.

Then we had to sign in and all 250 new and first employees were ushered into 5 separate training rooms to begin learning. Not working. Learning. They recognized that you can't expect much out of your employees if you don't give them the knowledge to perform at their best first.

So I spent my 8 hours in a room with 50 other people learning about this new company, and each other. We played games, ate far too many snacks, and pretty much just started to grow as a new community.

We then got a visit from the CEO and the founders of C3... how often on your first day do you meet the really important people of a company? Shake their hands? Does this really happen anywhere else?

I haven't seen it.

We played diversity bingo, I learned that if I wanted to I could be moved anywhere in the world, Sweden, China, Utah... the list goes on and on... and I am totally OK with the idea of traveling, it's on my list after all.

I also realized I won't be chasing after children, I won't be out in the sun, I won't be taking orders and throwing together a sandwich.

I'll be helping people figure out how to afford their medicine. I'll be talking to people who may not have anyone else to talk to. I'll be one phone call away from making a difference. I think that is pretty cool.

And... since I'll be sitting at a desk... I can totally invest in some cute shoes... which only adds to my excitement.

I've never really had a job where I could buy myself shoes that may have a little heel on them... or anything fancy really... My collection of cute tennis comes from years of having to be extremely mobile while watching children.

The most exciting part would have to be, that for the first time in my employment history... I feel like I have a grown up job. Not something I'll work at through college, not something to do to make some summer money... a real, grown up, "You mean something to this company" job.

And THAT feels really good.




No comments:

Post a Comment